Dunedin Carisbrook batsman Camden Hawkins is one of three new players to be offered contracts to play for the Otago Volts for the 2019/20 cricket season. In total fourteen (14) players have been offered first round contracts.
Hawkin’s (24) inclusion comes on the back of a sound First Class debut season for Otago in 2018/19 where he scored four half centuries, with a top score of 76 and an average of 34.27.
Head Coach Rob Walter said Hawkin’s had been a consistent performer for Otago A and showed great signs in the matches he had played for the Volts last season. “We are excited to see Cam now kick on, and at the same time look forward to seeing what he has to offer in the short format as well”.
Otago Cricket earlier announced the transfers of exciting all-rounder Dean Foxcroft (21, Central Districts) and dashing top order bat Nick Kelly (25, Northern Districts) to Otago Cricket. Both have received new contract offers with Otago Cricket.
“Nick and Dean are both dynamic young players who will bring quality and excitement to the team”, Walter said. “We look forward to seeing the full spectrum of skill and energy they will bring to the Volts moving forward”.
Walter said all three players had worked hard last season and would bring excitement and strength to this years squad. “It has been great to bring these 3 players into our contract group. Our focus is to create a world leading environment that provides opportunity for the best young players in the country to one day become BLACKCAPS, while continuing to personally develop, as great people.
Christi Viljoen and Josh Tasman Jones are the two players not contracted from last season. Walter heaped praise on both men. “As with all contracting processes, there are players who miss out. We have two chaps who have been great team men and offered so much both on and off the field. Personally I would like to acknowledge all that Christi and Josh have given to the Volts and hope this is just a mere bump in the dreams they pursue on the cricket field.”
In compiling the list of offers, an Otago Cricket contract review group, managed by Performance and Talent Manager Simon Forde and Head Coach Rob Walter, engaged with Volts selectors and NZC high Performance staff to consider a range of factors ahead of selection.
Brad Wilson and Sean Hicks have pulled stumps permanently on their domestic careers while Warren Barnes has also made himself unavailable indefinitely.
Under the terms of NZC’s Master Agreement with the New Zealand Cricket Players Association, the listed players have until Friday 21 June to accept or decline the contract offers.
Two contract positions remain open. Otago Cricket will submit its final two contract offers to NZC and NZCPA on 27 June with these final two offers accepted or declined on 7 July.
Players offered first round Otago Cricket domestic contracts for 2019/20;